1. The proposed agenda below is provisional, in that it may be changed in the light of suggestions to be made by the Superiors of Circumscriptions.
2. SRL 206.6 states: “The preparation for the Enlarged General Council is done
- first, by sending the agenda to all the superiors of circumscriptions, and
- then by holding regional meetings of the same superiors”.
To give time for the General Council to send out the definitive agenda, Superiors of Circumscriptions are asked, if possible, to send in their reactions and proposals before 15 May, 2007 . The General Council will then be able to complete the agenda during their May session and to distribute it in good time to the Superiors so that they can discuss it in their regional meetings.
3. The questions below were chosen by the General Council so that the EGC can fulfil its task as laid down by SRL:
“- To check on the implementation of the decisions of the General Chapter;
- To study new means of strengthening and bringing about the Congregation's objectives;
- To reinforce collaboration between different circumscriptions, both among them and between them and the Superior General and his Council”. (SRL 206.3).
4. Provisional Agenda
1. Synthesis of the replies of circumscriptions to the enquiry about how they implemented the decisions of the General Chapter at Torre d'Aguilha in 2004. This will be a very important part of the EGC. It will allow us to have an overall view of the Congregation and to treat some important questions which will not be discussed per se (Justice and Peace, Islam, Refugees, Communications etc.).
2. Strengthening of the Congregation:
2.1 Confreres on first appointments: procedures and discernment; results of the study on changes of first appointment; integration into the circumscriptions and communities of appointment etc.
2.2 Organisation of the Congregation: union of circumscriptions; pluri-national circumscriptions, SRL 184.1; clarification of rights.
2.3 Strengthening of the spiritan presence in Latin America and Asia . Other possible new fields of apostolate.
2.4 Financial and economic questions: results of the inventory of moveable and immovable goods and the consequences that flow there from; unity of the spiritan culture regarding our relationship to money; reactions to the General Council's paper, “ Mission and Finance ”, commenting on TA 7.14.
2.5 Questions concerning formation : centralisation of second cycles; formation of formators; revision of the “ Guide for Formation”
3. Membership of the Congregation
3.1 Spiritual renewal of the Congregation : Centres of Spirituality; the implications of spiritan spirituality for the formation of young people and formators; the 300 th anniversary of the death of Poullart des Places in 2009.
3.2 Vocation and spiritan life : the vocation of brothers; criteria for discernment of spiritan vocations; confreres in irregular situations.
3.3 Lay Associates : towards a more unified policy.
4. Additional question: the General Chapter of 2012.
Rome , 12 March, 2007
The General Council